Social software for the enterprise
With the rapid global adoption of consumer services such as Facebook and Twitter, "social" software and applications have become the new black, with the technology media buzzing with excitement about the new opportunities it presents. This report examines the value of social software in the context of enterprise collaboration, looking at the business benefits that it offers both inside and outside the organisation, and providing advice to organisations wondering if this is something they should be considering. We highlight the different tools that may be described as being "social", as well as their relationship to collaboration software, and provide an overview of the current vendor landscape.
- Social software offers opportunities both inside and outside the organisation
- Adoption of social software in enterprises remains low
- Social software risks are as much about governance as security
- Social software will ultimately be completely absorbed into the collaboration market.
table of contents
- Beyond the hype: opportunities for organisations
- What is social software?
- Technology focus
- Messages to organisations:should you be worrying about social software?
- Appendix:Vendor profiles.