Email in the cloud: hype, opportunity and your collaboration strategy
Over the last two decades, the enterprise email market has matured and consolidated to the point where Microsoft Exchange now accounts for around two-thirds of the installed software base. However new players are now challenging the on-premise email model with cloud-based alternatives. Email is approaching a fork in the road: both in terms of the level of investment that organisations are prepared to commit to managing email going forward, and in terms of whether email should still be the primary vehicle for online collaboration and communication. This report lays out the strategic context you should take into account when making a decision about how to take your email investment forward, and shares lessons learned from early adopters of cloud-based email services.
- New cloud-based offerings are reinvigorating the business email market
- Email's role as the primary online collaboration tool in business is being challenged
- Hybrid email solutions will dominate in the medium-term
- Your cloud-based email migration decision must be about more than just like-for-like costs.
table of contents
- A fork in the road for email: disruptive times in a mature market
- Key factors driving the move to cloud-based email
- The changing role of email within collaboration strategies
- On-premise email will remain important
- Making the switch to a cloud-based service: key considerations and tactics
- Appendix: Enterprise email vendor matrix.