On the Radar: Box
Box provides a collaborative content management and team workspace-style solution delivered via a software-as-a-service (SaaS) model.
This On the Radar briefing note follows a simple "ten questions" format, which we designed to provide a concise but thorough overview of a company and its products and services. We use this format to focus on the capability and suitability of small, specialist vendors - to help you build the best possible vendor shortlists when looking to make new technology investments.
- Box is a simple, online file store and file sharing platform, providing individuals with location- and device-independent access to their content, and enabling teams either within an organisation or across different organisations to share content securely with others.
- Box also supports the collaborative processes that take place around that content.
- Box has created an interesting niche for itself which has not really been recognised by the broader business software market.
- Today Box has 6 million users globally, with 60,000 business customers.
- Box's solution should be of interest to anyone needing a simple, low-cost way to share content and work collaboratively with colleagues or partners, either as an extension to existing content management solutions, or as an alternative to SharePoint, for example.
table of contents
- What does it do?
- Who is it for?
- Why is it interesting?
- How established is it?
- How open is it?
- Who does it partner with?
- Are there areas for improvement?
- What's next?
- Should I consider it?